|First block done.|
Sunday, January 31, 2016
Paper, Plastic, or Fabric?
First, thank you to all of you that left comments on my last post regarding working with string blocks and bias edges. I got a lot of wonderful suggestions and lots of positive feedback. So, Thank You to all of you!!
I have been experimenting with the suggested ways to decrease the stretch caused by the bias edges around each block. Lots to consider.
First option tried, as you know, was the telephone book paper. Pros: I like this option because it is readily available and FREE. Nice bonus. Thanks to your suggestions of leaving the paper in until I sew the blocks together.
Cons: Having to deal with this. I removed the paper in the seam allowances so I could press my seams open. This does not inspire the creative process......
Here is the center section ironed. I like the flatness here.... and the colors, of course!
Second option tried was muslin. Pros: natural cotton option that does not need to be removed after sewing and is very stabilizing. BIG pluses.
Cons: It does add quite a bit of weight. Actually doubling the weight of the quilt with that added layer. Also, as you can see in the picture above it makes the seams bulkier. Not sure why this is, but you can see the ripples here.
Third option was dryer sheets. I am not a big fan of dryer sheets in my laundry so I picked up a box without any fragrance.
Pros: Very lightweight. Pretty good stabilization of that bias edge and does not add any substantial weight to the finished block. Cons: The sheets are 6.4" x 9" and my blocks are 6 1/2" square. So after using the dryer sheet it is slightly smaller, making my foundation smaller than my finished block, but not by a lot. Also, I keep hearing about all the chemicals that are in dryer sheets.... hmmm. Should this be a concern... is it any different than polyester batting? Jury still out on that one. I also have to be careful with the heat setting on my iron... they do melt. :-)
So I now have a mix of foundations going into my blocks. The muslin and dryer sheet foundations seem to play well together.
I can tell you I have definitely ruled out the telephone book paper.. at least for this quilt. Just too much tedious removal for me.... And it still does not eliminate my problem of a wobbly edge.. even with leaving the paper in until all the edges are sewn.
You can see the blocks on the outer edge of my larger block have a bit of a 'wave' even though the paper is still attached.
My fourth option, still to be explored, would be a light weight interfacing. This would be the most costly option, but maybe the best! I will let you know... stay tuned.
Finally, I wanted to show you the large glass jar I got from Sally when she closed her quilt shop. I filled it with my perle cotton spools and it is just so colorful, it makes me smile.... and think of Sally. Happy Retirement!
Linking up this Monday at Moving It Forward Monday at Em's Scrapbag. Check out what other's did over the weekend!