Saturday, November 30, 2013

Black Friday....

Ha! and you thought I meant shopping! LOL
Yesterday I took some time to start this wonderful wall quilt from Laurie Simpson (of Minick & Simpson fame).  She had posted a photo of her quilt on her blog and I just fell in love with it.
The pattern, called Candy Cane Bouquet, is in the current issue of Primitive Quilts (Winter 2013) and is done on a gray background.  I prefer the black background like the Peppermint Twist hooked rug done by Polly Minick - also shown in this issue.
Peppermint Twist hooked rug by Polly Minick





The candy canes are lined with fusible interfacing and machine buttonhole stitched to the background.  The frond in the background is fused and also machine buttonhole stitched.




The urn is hand appliqued.  I just love this green floral!
Next I will add the green wool fronds on either side of the urn.  I love the mix of cottons and wools together and the texture that wools adds to the piece.
The frond in the middle is cotton and is fused and machine buttonhole stitched in green.  You can see the hand buttonhole work started on the wool piece.  I am using Valdani variegated perle cotton thread.  
Here is the current issue of Primitive Quilts.  It has some great quilts in it!

Happy Holiday (Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, whatever!) Stitching!

Deb


1 comment:

  1. Your candy canes are getting me in the mood for Christmas, Debra! They look great against that black background. Really makes them pop! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment - I would love to hear your thoughts! I will try my best to reply however, if you are a No Reply Blogger I will not be able to comment. If you would like, please include your email address so I can reply. Thanks! Look forward to hearing from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...